My booth at an Outdoor Art Show

My booth at an Outdoor Art Show
The best part of an outdoor show is meeting you. If you read my blog, be sure to say Hi to me.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The HOWARD PYE STUDIO AND MY FLOWER WATERCOLOR LESSONS

This past week, I spent three days in the incredible history filled studio of Howard Pyle.  Now for those who do not know him, he was a famous painter and illustrator who lived until 1911.  One of his many students was NC Wyeth, who eventually moved to Chadds Ford.  Howard Pyle started the Brandywine School of artists that got it's name because he would take the artists in the sumer to Chadds Ford to study and paint along the Brandywine River.  

As you walk into his studio, you notice a cross cut of a tree trunk in the middle of the floor. Why is this here I wondered?   After Howard Pyle died, one of his students took this slice of a buttonwood tree and located it on the spot where his teacher stood to paint and instruct his students.
Now I have always admired the paintings of Andrew, Jamie and NC Wyeth so for me to be in the studio of the man who started the Brandywine tradition, much less spend three days painting was a great experience.
PyleRoom2x.jpg


I did not want to take for granted just being able to walk into Pyle's  studio and be able to paint where this master painter had painted.  ANd yet here I was doing just that.  For three days we entered his studio door and experienced the opportunity to learn how to improve our watercolors painting many different types of flowers.  What a privilege to be there and be painting.   


On top of that,  our instructor's teaching methods coupled with her technical skills and her encouragement spurred us on to improve our painting capabilities.   More in my next blog..........

No comments:

Post a Comment