My booth at an Outdoor Art Show

My booth at an Outdoor Art Show
The best part of an outdoor show is meeting you. If you read my blog, be sure to say Hi to me.

Monday, June 4, 2012

PAINT THE TOWN...A SUCCESS

This past week, I spent from Tuesday to Friday painting in West Chester, PA.  Tuesday, I set up my chair and paint supplies under a treee in Marshall Park and painted the Sharpless home that was across the street.   Fortunately  there was a slight breeze that felt good on the hot day.  In the afternoon, I went to East Washington Street and painted the Academic house.  It was a French Academic School according to a book I purchased of Walking tours of West Chester by Mowrey.  I also sketched and started painting a small watercolor of a porch in East Washington nearby.
The next morning despite some spritzing I sketched and painted the Woman's Exchange on South Church Street.  In the afternoon, I focused on the office on the corner of Market and Church Streets.   The photo of this building is in the earlier blog post.


I painted about 80% of those that afternoon and was able to sketch a small backyard and garden on South Walnut before I finished for the day.   A kind gentleman came out of this house and shared some interesting details about the house including the fact it was built in 1855.

Thursday, I set up my chair and sketched across from Fairman's Skate Board store on Gay Street. That was a challenge because there was a stop sign right by the corner so often trucks and cars blocked my view.  A friend of mine joined me to sketch while I painted and when we finished this, we went back to South Walnut.  I was hoping to paint the backdoor and yard, which by the way contained over 67 varieties of roses.  The owner had moved his car out of the driveway for me to get a clear view of that wonderful back door and garden.  What a treat to paint this scene.
Friday I spent matting, framing and finishing s few little details on some of the watercolors before delivering 7 paintings to the 7th floor of the Chestnut St parking garage.  That evening, in spite of rain that was heavy at times, there was an art show and sale.  The next night, 400 people turned out for the West Chester Business Club's Gala that was a fund raiser.
I throughly enjoyed the experience.   This process of painting outdoors helped me in several ways.  I found I was painting quicker,  highlights and details near the center of interest were saved and other areas had less detail and the finished painting seemed to have captured the colors more realistically.
I look forward to continuing to paint " PLAIN AIR".

No comments:

Post a Comment