My booth at an Outdoor Art Show

My booth at an Outdoor Art Show
The best part of an outdoor show is meeting you. If you read my blog, be sure to say Hi to me.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer Painting and Sketching

Well it has been a busy summer. I went to several workshops for watercolor artists in VT and NY. The travel in late July was inspiring as we drove along Lake Champlain and took the ferry across it. Just as enjoyable was learning several new techniques that will help me to improve my paintings

Last week I had what was to be minor surgery called lithotripsy....and now while I am recovering and doing better, I am painting using these skills and painting more original watercolors.

My Sugartown painting that was a sketch is now almost finished.

During the workshops, I thought that it might be worthwhile for me to share some of the benefits I learned while in the classes.....and so I thought I will add a comment to each post taking you through a watercolor course.

Let em know if you find this helpful.............

Watercolor Workshop
So let's begin with the most important step.........................

Lesson # 1 Practice drawing ..........once your drawings are done correctly, your paintings will always begin in the right direction.
So we need to ask ourselves the following questions------what will I include in the painting, how do I arrange my composition, what about the best values or the balance between dark and light, and don't forget perspective.
Does the drawing look like the object I an trying to paint?
Is the drawing interesting so that people will enjoy looking at it?
Is there a focal point that draws my attention?
Because if I can make the drawing interesting then the final painting with color will even be better.

So while this is a watercolor workshop, the most important step for a good watercolor is getting your drawing done properly. It always this takes time , but makes sure the painting is going in the right direction from the start.

Application # 1 Get a sketch book, a # 3 or 4 pencil or black ink marker and begin practice your drawing......every day. Could be an item in your kitchen, a flower outside, a fence or bird house or your neighbor's house.
Don't forget to keep your sketch books as a reminder when you started this new exciting journey.

Next lesson will cover selecting your best sketches to plan your watercolor.
Blessings Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment